I seem to brew a lot of beers that I like – the problem is, my wife has a different palate! I made one for her a while back but the bitter orange peel used for the Belgian Wit Bier was a bit overwhelming. Dang it….I have had to drink almost all of it! Since then I have brewed a rich and chewy Russia Imperial Ale and my Golden Wheat Red IPA. So, as my Christmas gift to her, I have just returned home from the beer store with the parts and pieces for a Raspberry Wheat Ale, affectionately labeled the “Yes Dear – Raspberry Wheat Ale”. No wrapping paper needed and the gift that keeps on giving, She will be so happy! My old brewing buddies will understand that the unsaid portion of the label would have read, ” Yes Dear, I should have known – Raspberry Wheat Ale”. It’s a long story…. and besides, it would have crowded the label.
Ingredients = $ 29.12…… I definitely think she is worth that much…
- 5.5 lbs. Domestic white wheat malt
- 5.5 lbs. domestic two row pale malt
- 0.5 lbs. British medium crystal malt
- 0.5 lbs. Flaked oats
- 0.5 lbs. Rice hulls – aids in making a filter bed during run off
- 2 ounces Hallertauer hop pellets – 1.5 oz. 60 minutes and 0.5 oz. 2 20 minutes
- 1 pkg. Wyeast # 1056
- 1/2 tsp Irish Moss @ 15
- 1/2 tsp food grade gypsum
- Many gallons of Ozarka Spring Water
- 2 lbs. frozen Raspberries added to the secondary – two weeks
Single Infusion @ 152 deg F and batch sparge.
Below is an image of label design for this batch taken by my iPhone from the laptop screen.
I sure hope my bride has a sense of humor?…….never mind, she married me so the answer is, yes she does!
PS – I also came home with 1.75 Liters of 190 proof Everclear! Not for beer brewing but for making some Limoncello with my bumper crop of lemons! More on that later.
Drink Local and Drink Responsibly